At Scotts, all our day-to-day activities illustrate our social responsibility as a company firmly rooted in its community. Constant attention is paid to ensuring that our operations meet strict standards in terms of environmental management, social commitment and product quality.
Scotts® Peatland Management
For many years, Scotts peatlands are certified with the VERIFLORA® program. This certification ensures the application of good management practices in all aspects of sustainable development by a third party. The criteria include, among others:
- Environmental assessment
- Social engagement
- Product quality
Our field teams are made up of passionate and committed people who help supply our plants with responsibly harvested raw materials. We apply the best peatland management techniques throughout the peat production cycle to reduce environmental and neighborhood impacts.
Why Peat Moss is one of the basic ingredients of Growing Media Mixes?
- Light weight
- High water holding capacity
- Excellent retention of nutrients (Hight Cations exchange capacity)
- Excellent buffering capacity (Hight resistance toward pH, nutrients & water changes)
- Good porosity
- Naturally weed- and contaminant-free
- Homogeneous/consistent material
- No Nitrogen tie up compared to wood fiber or bark materials (no nitrogen immobilization by microorganisms)
Restoration and Rehabilitation
The restoration and rehabilitation of our harvesting sites ensures that the areas can provide functional ecosystems for flora and fauna. According to the last research results from the PERG, the ecological restoration technics developed in Canada show that:
- A plant cover, composed of typical bog species and dominated by Sphagnum mosses, establishes quickly (~ 5 years).
- 8 years after the restoration, productivity rates and accumulation of organic matter are comparable to those measured in natural ecosystems.
- The water table level quickly rises after ditch blocking.
- The annual carbon balance returns to values comparable to the natural environment, between 10 and 15 years following restoration.
Compost Production & Uses
Scotts produces composts from source separated green waste and manure. We include many types of composts in our products to provide a natural fertilizer for our customers' needs, especially for organic farming.
Responsible Use of Products
We offer consumers a number of tools to encourage responsible use of our products while creating beautiful outdoor environments where plants, animals, and people can thrive.
- Detailed instructions on labels
- Instructional videos
- Educational programs and Campaigns (fertilizercanada.ca)