This could be the year you turn the tables by making your neighbours jealous of your lush, green lawn. Use the answers below to give your grass the nutrition it craves and fine-tune your fertilizing game.
If you have questions about how to feed your lawn, we’re here to help.
What is lawn fertilizer?
Lawn fertilizer is nutrition for your lawn that leads to a boost of energy, optimal performance, and faster recovery. When you feed the lawn, you’re helping it grow strong enough to survive the heat of summer, harsh Canadian winters, and everything in between.
How does lawn fertilizer help?
Proper fertilization several times a year can transform your yard into a lush green carpet. Strong grass will bounce back from soccer drills, family gatherings, and energetic pets. Even better, weeds won’t have room to grow in a well-fed yard.
How often should I feed my lawn?
For best results, fertilize your yard with a high-quality product four times a year—early and late spring, summer, and fall—with 6 – 8 weeks in between. And if weather and timing allow, apply a fifth and final feeding for a well-nourished lawn all winter long.
When it comes to the perfect time to nourish a new lawn, the answer is simple: Immediately.
The moment you lay down fresh sod or sprinkle new seeds, it's important to provide lawn food designed for new grass. These types of lawn fertilizers are high in phosphorus which is a crucial component in enhancing root growth and helps pave the way for a dense, healthy, fully established lawn.
When looking for the right season to fertilize a lawn, spring presents itself as the prime season for lawn feeding. This period marks the end of your lawn's long winter dormancy, providing an excellent opportunity to stimulate its growth. By fertilizing your lawn during spring, you're not just kickstarting its growth but also offering it the most nutrient-rich care compared to any other time of the year. For a comprehensive guide on lawn start-up, you might want to check out our article regarding how to start a new lawn from grass seed.
List of Lawn Fertilizer Questions
- What is lawn fertilizer?
- How does lawn fertilizer help?
- How often should I feed my lawn?
- What’s the best time to fertilize a new lawn?
- Which fertilizer is best for the grass in my yard?
- What does NPK on the fertilizer bag mean?
- What’s the best way to apply fertilizer to my lawn?
- Which spreader setting should I use?
- How long should I wait to fertilize after reseeding or overseeding?
- What is the best time of day to fertilize my lawn?
- Is it ok to apply fertilizer to a wet lawn?
- When do I water the lawn after fertilizing it?
- What do I do if it rains or snows soon after I feed the lawn?
- How long should kids and pets stay off the lawn after fertilizing?
- Can it be too hot or cold to apply fertilizer?
- Can I kill weeds at the same time I fertilize my lawn?
- When will I see results after fertilizing my yard?
- Do I need to mow, rake, or aerate my lawn before or after feeding it?
- Can I use lawn fertilizer in the garden?
- Does fertilizer ever expire?
- Is there a money-back guarantee from Scotts?