Our Social Responsibility
Scotts® Peatland Management
Sphagnum peat moss, a raw material used for its many qualities in horticulture, is harvested at Scotts with great care. Peat moss is one of our ingredients to produce Growing Media for professional and domestic uses.
For many years, Scotts peatlands are certified with the VERIFLORA® program. This certification ensures the application of good management practices in all aspects of sustainable development by a third party. The criteria include, among others:
- Environmental assessment
- Social engagement
- Product quality
Our field teams are made up of passionate and committed people who help supply our plants with responsibly harvested raw materials. We apply the best peatland management techniques throughout the peat production cycle to reduce environmental and neighborhood impacts.
- Light weight
- High water holding capacity
- Excellent retention of nutrients (Hight Cations exchange capacity)
- Excellent buffering capacity (Hight resistance toward pH, nutrients & water changes)
- Good porosity
- Naturally weed- and contaminant-free
- Homogeneous/consistent material
- No Nitrogen tie up compared to wood fiber or bark materials (no nitrogen immobilization by microorganisms)
Compost Production & Uses
Scotts produces composts from source separated green waste and manure. We include many types of composts in our products to provide a natural fertilizer for our customers' needs, especially for organic farming.